Summer interns at MATTER learn how to work in a startup environment and build valuable skills from the ground up while gaining exposure to multiple aspects of the organization – venture acceleration, service delivery, customer service, membership, event planning and execution, marketing, technology, partnerships, and strategic programs. After being exposed to each area, you will be assigned to a functional department and execute on projects and processes over a 10-week program running from June 17 to August 23, 2019.
What you can expect from us:
Learn the complexities of healthcare, entrepreneurship, and technology and how they weave into one another. We promise to give you context into your projects – we start with “why” before jumping into “how and what.” Get a customized, hands-on learning experience which will help you develop your industry and general business acumen. And get the opportunity to build a network with Chicago’s healthcare community.
What we expect from you:
We expect you to be intrinsically motivated and have an interest in healthcare, entrepreneurship, and technology – all key drivers for your learning experience. We’re a learning organization and you should be a lifelong learner. You should be able to demonstrate the following qualities: go-getter, resourceful, engaged, accountable, dependable, prompt, energetic, positive, thoughtful, enthusiastic, tech savvy, curious, proactive, and detail-oriented.
All interns will attend weekly “lunch and learn” sessions, where a subject-matter expert from the MATTER team or a special guest speaker will impart their wisdom and convey their passion from anything from writing effective copy to helping you choose your career path.
Previous guest speakers include:
- Amanda Lannert: Jellyvision CEO
- Brad Keywell, Uptake, Groupon, Lightbank, and Chicago Ideas Week co-founder
- Caralynn Collens, UI Labs CEO
- Eric Leftkosky, Tempus, Uptake, Groupon, Lightbank, and Chicago Ideas Week co-founder
- JB Pritzker, Illinois Governor
- Jeffrey Aronin, Paragon Biosciences CEO
- Glen Tullman, Livongo CEO
- Michael Slaby, Timshel head of mission
- Mike Lynch, Pritzker Group operating partner
- Neal Sales-Griffin, CodeNow CEO, Starter League co-founder
- Sheli Rosenberg, Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom consultant
- Suzanne Muchin, Mind + Matter Studio principal
- Steven Collens, MATTER CEO
- Timothy Sullivan, Madison Dearborn Partners managing director
Candidates must be entering their sophomore year or beyond to be considered. Applications for our 2019 summer internship program are open now through March 31, 2019 or until we reach our application limit. Limited spots are available.
Lunch is provided for the weekly talks and other meetings that extend over normal lunch times. All MATTER internships are unpaid.